Over the last few weeks, I’ve had the opportunity to test out Stonewear’s Volt Capri (MSRP $75) and Siren Top (MSRP $70). While I generally consider the lack of snow here in the Tetons this winter less than ideal, on the plus side I’ve been able to fully put these spring and summer pieces to the test.
I’ve worn them trail running, to exercise class and around town as everyday wear. As seen by the overwhelming weight given to the “pros” list below, I really like them. They’re comfortable, they fit well and perform as promised (moisture wicking, supportive bra, etc.). They’re also stylish and give me some confidence-boosting flair.
Stonewear Designs Volt Capri
- made in the USA from recycled plastic bottles
- comfortable and surprisingly soft for being made from recycled materials
- fits well
- wide waistband with a hidden pocket (that fits an iPhone6!)
- gusseted crotch
- splash of color and keyhole styling on the legs make for a great look
- very versatile (I’d use it for running, exercise class, yoga, rock climbing and hanging out at home)
- no way to seal the pocket closed (ie I wouldn’t stash a key in it for fear of it slipping out)
***We’re really excited to be giving away a Volt Capri as part of our 9 Days of Giveaways. This giveaway opens Saturday, March 21***
Stonewear Designs Siren Top
- Well made with double stitching and clear attention to design details
- Love the ladder-like straps on the back
- USA made
- Supportive built-in bra, with removable padding
- Great for yoga or everyday casual wear
- the V-neck is slightly more revealing than I like for wearing to exercise class (but strangely doesn’t bother me for yoga and/or everyday wear)
Stonewear Designs is a brand I’ve had my eye on a for awhile because it’s mastered simple but quality active mountain lifestyle wear made in the USA. And, that’s my cup of tea.
“for adventurous, independent women who aren’t afraid to get dirty, but still want to look great doing so”
“feminine yet functional clothing”
I wrote a guest post for BonBon Break this summer called Live Like a Girl very much along these lines. Here’s an excerpt:
“Femininity in sports is being redefined. We shred on skis and do it while wearing pig tales and giggling. We rip around on mountain bikes sporting colorful, sexy styles. We run – sometimes jogging, sometimes sprinting – while wearing skirts and jazzy socks.
No longer do we have to look like the boys to play with the boys. We can embrace pinks and purples right along with the grit, grime and mud.”
Stonewear Designs gets this, and is in fact making the clothes to facilitate it!
Unlike many of the companies we feature here at Garage Grown Gear, Stonewear Designs is more “grown” than “garage.” It was founded 20 years ago by a rock climber who was “frustrated that nothing fit her wonderful curves or supported her adequately,” to quote Stonewear’s website. It is now owned by Great Trango Holdings, which also owns Trango, makers of quality rock climbing gear.